Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tools and Projects

In the intervals of exploring caves and walking in the woods and shopping at the market and practicing  my cuisine du Perigord and even doing some work, I've got a few needlework projects finished (including ones on my Ravelry page and not posted here).

To start with, here are a couple of objects that were made (strictly according to authentic stone-tool techniques) for me, not by me, for use with future projects and just general coolness factor.  One bone needle (which I think will become a yarn needle for joining crocheted project pieces) with deer sinew thread, and one flint point.

And here are some things I sewed out of deerskin for Y, who added the bone buttons and deerskin thongs that make them look really nifty.  My contribution was a lot less historically informed, relying not only on steel needles and dental floss but also on "ficelle alimentaire" or nylon kitchen string (for things like trussing poultry or tying bouquet garni: food safe and resistant to heat and moisture, which makes it a good sewing fiber for skins). 

(1) Ruler case and (2) tool bag, before and after having red ochre applied to the seams:


And in keeping with the same early-human ethos of using scraps of things you've already got to construct useful other things, here's one of my patchwork baby quilts made from T-shirts of more sentimental than sartorial value.  The backing fabric is quite an eye-popper, huh?  The recipient is a tropical-climate chick, but nonetheless her parents may have to keep this thing locked in the car trunk as a sunny-day beach blanket, because it could scream the house down if allowed indoors.  But I still like the flamingos.


No comments:

Post a Comment