Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Packing for 4 Months in Berlin: 12 Pairs of Socks, 23 Crochet Hooks

Hey, I refuse to apologize for having my priorities straight.  Plus, realistically speaking a crochet hook is much smaller, lighter and sometimes more expensive than a pair of socks, as well as being harder to find in the correct size.  Obviously you should pack the hook and buy the socks overseas.  (Or bring along yarn and make some socks.)

Also, a crochet hook can be much more versatile in solving problems with a temporary residence.  Got no place to hang up your keys in your dorm room?


Schlüsselkäfer the Lucky Chafer Beetle says "Well, why do you think they call it a hook?"

It's a nice dorm room, though, with a pretty view of a quiet street in the Berlin neighborhood of Dahlem, and good for photographing FOs.

Speaking of FOs, of course, I can't resume my blog posting without providing the obligatory photos of a new T-shirt baby quilt, completed shortly before my departure:




It came out pretty well, though the patterned backgrounds are doing it no favors!  I took some other pictures of the construction process, thinking that at some point I'd put together a complete T-shirt baby quilt tutorial, but this isn't that point yet: you really need to document every step.

1 comment:

  1. I must heartily agree about the socks and crochet hooks. After all, the only reason to bring multiple socks is so that they don't begin to smell TOO bad before you wash them. You can't wash crochet hooks (or at least I don't recommend it…)

    The quilt turned out great! I'm glad to see that the one smaller square with the several patches works very well with the rest. (I had had my doubts, though I kept them to myself.)

    ReplyDelete