Sunday, September 9, 2012

Potsdam or Bust

Today was a beautiful day and you never know when it will be the last one of the season, so I decided a long bike ride would be just the thing.  I had heard Potsdam was nice so I headed vaguely south and west till I hit a road called the Potsdamerstrasse, which I was pretty confident would take me there.  I only made it as far as the suburb (?) Am Stern, which has a nice little park around the Jagdschloss-Stern, a royal hunting lodge built for Friedrich Wilhelm I.  (Apparently today they were having a festival of some kind complete with a German Dixieland jazz group (!?), but I didn't get there till after it was over. They'll have a more "authentic" Herbstfest with hunting horns and what-not later in the month.)

Anyway, two and a half hours straight pushing that sturdy three-speed and I am pretty bushed!  But with a nice little detour through a park along the Teltowkanal on the way out, it was a very pleasant ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment