Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mushroom Sampler Lunch

Here's the selection of fresh mushrooms I used for Wednesday's mushroom lunch party:


And here's the best I can do on reconstructing the varieties, though I'll have to check some of them when I go back to the market (this has something of the mycological mystery and discovery of actually hunting edible mushrooms, without any of the danger and anxiety because I already ate all of them and I'm fine).  Clockwise from bottom left:

  1. Package of Kulturchampignons or ordinary cultivated white mushrooms, more or less as a control for mushroom flavors. 
  2. I thought these were Steinpilze but the stem looks wrong.  
  3. Orangey-brown Pfifferlinge (Eierschwammen) or chanterelles.
  4. A clump of deep-cupped Limonenseitlinge, golden oyster mushrooms.
  5. One honking big Kräuterseitling or king oyster mushroom.
  6. Creamy white something-or-others, can't figure these out at all.
  7. Bitty little Samthaube or black poplar mushroom (never even heard of these).
  8. Fan-like caps of the Austernseitlinge, oyster mushrooms.
  9. One white Weiss Buchenpilz (Buna-Shimeji?), at least I think that's what it is (where did the rest go, I wonder?).
Anyway, we had #5 and #8 oven-roasted with oil and garlic, #1 and #9 as baked mushroom caps stuffed with a mash of lentils, potatoes, onions and mushroom stems, #2, #3 and #7 sauteed and then baked in a cheese quiche (carefully arranged in rings so that each piece had some of each kind of mushroom in it), and #4 and #6 just sauteed in a little butter and salt, and they were all very tasty.  Also some breads and cheeses and tomatoes and a carrot salad and some grapes for dessert.  I'll be eating leftovers for a while, but I'm not complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment