Sunday, October 14, 2012

Photo Album

Here are a few photographs that have been kicking around for a while but haven't rated a post of their own.

1. From the Berlin Marathon a couple of weeks ago, where my bike route to the Sunday stitch'n'bitch coincided with the marathon route in a number of places (and I took two hours figuring out how to get through the city without riding through the last of the straggling runners on what should be their personal streets for the day).  The loyal crowd is still watching for runners at Potsdamer Platz:



A race volunteer walks through the tidewrack of discarded water cups on the Clayallee:


2. A weekend seminar on the history of perspective and optics sharpened my eye for weird optical effects like this Light Bulb Tree produced by a reflection on my window:



3. This is the season for all the local mushrooms, and the farmer's market has some amazing displays.  I'm having a mushroom sampler lunch later this week and will try to post the details.



4. Shopping at the Idee craft store in Charlottenburg, where I said my first real totally voluntary non-trivial German sentence:  "Gibt es Häkelgarn mehr fein als zwanzig?" which means more or less "Do you have crochet thread finer than #20 weight?" As it happened, unfortunately they did not, but at least the saleslady understood me perfectly!  (It might have helped that I was holding a ball of #20 crochet thread at the time.)

Anyway, Schlüsselkäfer thought this sign on the wall of the jewelry-making section was hilarious and insisted on my photographing it.  (It just means "jewelry" in German, you dumb bug.)



5. And finally, in the TK Maxx store (that's TJ's German cousin, I guess) next to the Idee, they actually sold saucepans!

No comments:

Post a Comment